April 30, 2008

Subdued Victorian style


















Hello- I didn't disappear- I just moved overseas. After a month-long break and finally arriving in my new home, London, I'm glad to start posting again!
Apartment hunting here has me looking at unusual spaces and trying to come up with ways to use a fresh new room as a canvas for our furniture and things. I've been seeing a few Victorian-period flats- as they're called here- lately, none quite this grand, though. I love the large room proportions. This is a house in the British countryside, and the details are in some ways reminiscent of Italy- like the entryway's ornate stained glass and the bright pink sitting room with the raspberry damask setee and chandelier with drops of glass to match.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this. I definitely like Victorian- subdued.

Anonymous said...

nice pictures of homes. warm
hope to update more:)

Katrina said...

oh my! these photos are absolutely lovely. wow. and congrats on finding a new home...

columnist said...

Welcome to London, and I hope you settle in as easily as these stressful events are; it's a great city, as I'm sure you'll find out rapidly, unless you're familiar with it already. Can be a bit unforgiving at times, but so is everywhere else!

Anonymous said...

this house is amazing. i love the white frilly bedspread, the entry, the soft pink living room. ok i seem to love everything in this house. hope you settle in to your new surroundings.

mn said...

thank you all for your kind comments and for reading! though i've not found a place to live yet, we are close to deciding on a flat so i'm encouraged it will feel like home soon.

columnist: it's true London can be unforgiving, but coming from NYC, it can't be much more so, let's hope!

Lobster and swan said...

Beautiful post, Have been looking forward to your return : )

Hope you are enjoying London.

Laura McLaws Helms said...

Where did you find these photos? This house is so amazing! I wish I lied there...

Sarah said...

Love your blog, such lovely pictures. Hope you keep posting.